… and it ain’t pretty. I hadn’t realized how I had gotten pudgy around the middle and I’m certainly no model of the human form at my age.
Beyond the aesthetic, I’m not fit enough to do things I want to do, including:
- Walk to or from the bus stop so that I can take the regular buses that run on schedules on fixed routes. That will make it easier to do things like shopping or the library, when the time for returning home isn’t set, just when I’m done doing whatever.
- Attend social events like my high school reunion which is coming up next month.
- Attend day-long rocket launches without leaving early or needing a timeout which makes it tough to go on my own or with a group.
- Go to the Mountain Play which had been an annual family tradition until the stroke.
- Visit my father again before he dies. Getting to Nashville takes a full day of traveling with lots of walking and standing in line and dealing with airplanes (with small aisles and smaller seats.)
So right now, I’m working on establishing a daily workout habit with motor skill exercises for my left elbow and left foot/ankle. I hope this leads to workouts that actually stress muscles in the next few weeks.